0800 046 7345 [email protected]

EPC Provider

An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a 3 to 5 page document that’s required if you are selling or renting a property and it shows the incoming resident the energy rating of the property. A typical cost of an EPC is £69.

Energy Smart have completed over 14,000 EPCs since 2013. We offer a quality and reliable service and a simple fixed price of only £69.00 up to a 5 bedroom property. If you have over 5 bedrooms, please call for a quotation.

So if you require an EPC contact us today.

We carry out Energy Performance Certificates for:

  • Social Housing Providers

  • Landlords

  • Domestic customers

  • Renewable Heat Incentive

Or Call Us Free on 0800 0467 345

Why Use Us?

  • Well established EPC Maldon provider

  • 100 % show up rate throughout 2019

  • EPCs undertaken by our own employed local Assessors

  • Work not contracted out to unreliable third party Assessors

  • Over 12,000 EPCs carried out to date

  • Same day Express EPC service available

  • No complicated and misleading “from” prices

To arrange your EPC is simple.

Here we answer some common questions about an EPC

What Is An EPC?

Sold houseIf you haven’t moved houses in the last 10 years, you’ll probably be asking this question. An Energy Performance Certificate, or EPC for short, is a legal document that is required if you are selling or letting a property. The incoming resident must be given this document. The EPC shows the energy rating of the property at the date the assessment was carried out. Your estate agent, solicitor and your letting agent will require this document.

The EPC Certificate gives the property an energy rating from A, the highest to G, the lowest. It will also give guidance on the estimated energy running costs of a property along with recommended improvements that will make  the home more energy efficient and cheaper to run.

If the property is for renting, then the EPC must be at least an E energy rating. Properties that are an F or G rating, cannot legally be let until improvements have been made to bring it up to the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES). For more information on MEES click here.

The EPC is carried out by a qualified and acredited Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA). The Assessor needs to visit the property to gather information about the existing lighting, heating, glazing and insulation, as well as take dimension of the property. This information is then entered into Government approved software to produce your EPC.

Which Buildings Require An EPC?

Urban HousesAll domestic buildings being sold or rented require an EPC. There are some exceptions to this rule however, and the following buildings are exempt:

  • Listed buildings- listed by English Heritage. These can be found online at list.english-heritage.org.uk

  • Temporary buildings with a planned use time of two years or less

  • Buildings used as a place of worship or for other religious activities

  • Residential buildings which are intended to be used less than four months of the year or where the owner or landlord could reasonably expect the energy consumption of the building to be less than 25% of all year-round use.

  • Standalone buildings with a total useful floor area of less than 50m2 (ie buildings entirely detached from any other building)

Certain government initiatives also require an EPC before any subsidies will be paid to the customer such as the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI). If making an application on the RHI scheme, the EPC must be no older than 2 years.

Holiday Lets

Holiday HomeHoliday lets may not need an EPC. An EPC will only be required for a property rented out as a furnished holiday let, as defined by HMRC, where the building is occupied for the purposes of a holiday as a result of a short term letting arrangement of less than 31 days to each tenant,

  • Is rented out for a combined total of four months or more in any 12-month period

  • If the occupier is responsible for meeting the energy costs for the property. The property must meet all the conditions of a furnished holiday let as defined by HMRC and the occupant must not be responsible for the energy costs for an EPC to be unnecessary.

EPC Exemption Letter

In some cases, you may need an exemption letter. A qualified Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA) must visit the site and take photographic evidence. The letter must state why the property does not require an EPC. The letter must show the DEAs accreditation number and accreditation body.

    How Long Is an EPC Valid For?

    An EPC is valid for 10 years. However, if you have made improvements to the property especially regarding the heating or insulation, the energy rating would have improved significantly and it is recommended to obtain a new EPC that reflects the improved rating of the property.

    What's Involved To Get An EPC?

    A Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA) will visit the property. The DEA will gather information about the existing heating, lighting, glazing and insulation. The type of wall construction will be recorded and dimensions of the property taken. Access will be required to all rooms.

    The DEA must also take photographic evidence of certain elements of the property. These photos are only required for auditing purposes and are not seen by any outside third parties.

      Will I Have To Provide Anything?

      You can help your Assessor by having on hand if possible:

      • Any building control completion certificates for any extensions or alterations made to the property. 

      • Any MCS certificates if you have had any renewal technologies installed, such as solar or heat pumps etc

      • Any guarantees you may have for any improvements made, such as FENSA for windows, or guarantees for cavity wall insulation.

      • Dated invoices from your builder for work carried out to the fabric of the building.

      Although this information is not critical, if it is present it is likely to produce a better energy rating on the property. Remember your Assessor will need to see documentary evidence and cannot accept verbal completion dates from the customer. If the information is not available, standard default assumptions will be used by the software.

        Producing Your EPC

        The Assessor will take around 20 – 45 minutes in the property gathering the required information. Once completed, the information is entered into approved software to produce your Energy Performance Certificate.

        If you require your EPC quickly, let your Assessor know. Most Assessors have access to special software on Ipad or tablet and can complete the report on site if required. We may a small additional charge if you require the EPC on the same day of the visit. We call this an Express EPC. 

        The report is lodged on the national EPC register. Your solicitor, estate agent, or letting agent will be able to access the register to obtain your EPC.

        If you have any queries about the report, speak to your Assessor. The Assessor’s name and contact details will be on the last page of the EPC.

        Before you book with us, please check below to ensure we cover your area.

        If you are looking for an EPC provider, we can carry out an EPC in the following areas:


        Bedford, Luton, Leighton Buzzard, Dunstable, Sandy, Flitwick. Biggleswade, Ampthill, Kempston


        High Wycombe, Amersham, Chesham, Hazlemere, The Chalfonts, Marlow, Buckingham, Beaconsfield, Princess Risborough, Wendover, Milton Keynes, Aylesbury.


        Peterborough, Cambridge, Wisbech, St Neots, Huntingdon, March, Ely, St Ives, Whittlesey, Chatteris, Yaxley.


        Chelmsford, Basildon, Rayleigh, Harlow, Grays, Brentwood, Clacton-on-Sea, Braintree, Canvey Island, Billericay, Wickford, Loughton, Stanford-le-Hope, Witham, Maldon, Harwich, South Ockendon, Waltham Abbey, Rochford, South Woodham Ferrers, Saffron Walden, Colchester


        Watford, Letchworth, Hemel Hempstead, Harpenden, Stevenage, Hertford, St Albans, Bushey, Welwyn Garden City, Rickmansworth, Cheshunt, Potter Bar, Hoddesdon, Berkhamsted, Bishops Stortford, Abbots Langley, Hatfield, Ware, Borehamwood, Royston, Hitchin, Broxbourne


        Leicester, Loughborough, Hinckley, Coalville, Wigston, Melton Mowbray, Oadby, Market Harborough, Shepshed, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Mountsorrel, Kirby Muxloe, Lutterworth, Broughton Astley, Enderby, Sileby, Countesthorpe, Narborough, Blaby, Castle Donington, Anstey, Ibstock, Barrow upon Soar, Markfield, Quorndon, Measham, Kibworth Harcourt

        London - All London Boroughs

        Barnet, Enfield, Brent, Tower Hamlets, Hackney, Ealing, Haringey, Harrow, Islington, Hillingdon, Barking and Dagenham, Hounslow, Havering, Newham, Redbridge, Bexley, Bromley, Camden, Croydon, Grenwich, Hammersmith and Fulham, Havering, Kensington and Chelsea, Kingston Upon Thames, Lambeth, Lewisham, Merton, Richmond, Southwark, Sutton, Waltham Forest, Wandsworth, Westminster


        Northampton, Wellingborough, Kettering, Daventry, Rushden, Raunds, Brackley, Corby, Desborough, Towcester, Irthlingborough.



        Oxford, Banbury, Abingdon, Bicester, Witney, Didcot, Carterton, Kidlington, Henley-on-Thames, Thame, Wantage, Wallingford, Grove 


        Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds, Haverhill, Newmarket, Stowmarket, Mildenhall